This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bear Chase

I have update photos for the lighting I started installing yesterday but THIS is way more fun!  Tonight's dinner conversation went like this (of course it was also ironic that we were eating grilled wild salmon and Gregorie was devouring large quantities...)


G1 (aka Daddy): What was that game you were playing outside while I was cooking the fish?
A:  You mean Bear Chase?
G2:  Yeah, it was just Bear Chase.
G1: Oh.
A:  Hey, Gregorie, when I was hiding behind the tree by the hammock, you really couldn't find me?
G2:  Well, I saw your skirt.
A:  I was afraid of that.  But you didn't come after me.
G2:  Yeah, well, I was pretending I couldn't find you.
A:  You mean you were fibbing?  
G2:  Nah, I was just pretending.  Let's play more Bear Chase tomorrow, okay?


This morning the paint was dry and I was ready to progress.  First I placed the pine molding that would hold the light brackets.


Then I drilled the holes for the brackets and screwed them in.  I hooked up the wires and tightened them.
I attached the spots, flipped the switch, and had light!  Just the way I wanted it.  I had to thank my wonderful assistant!














Next up was patching the hole around the transformer.

Since things were going well, I wanted to push ahead.  I thought about prepping the ceiling for paint but figured I really wasn't up to painting on Mother's Day.  So instead I started to remove the gross brown shag.  It only took about a half hour to get this section out -- including the nasty foam, the tack board, all the nails, and the staples.  I figure we can be living on subfloor before we head back to Topanga!

At this point I was imagining how this room is going to come together -- with new pine floors, bright paint, and playful artwork.

Finished for the day, I stepped outside to enjoy the late afternoon sun in the pines.  Clouds touched on the mountain tops as if to kiss the the snow goodbye.


Later, I decided to hang some of that artwork and enjoy it while the wall waits for its paint.

No comments: