This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Touch rocks

Yesterday Gregorie handed me a chunky-plastic-heart-shaped-jewel-y thing and said, "Can you make me a necklace?"  I was on my way to clean the bathroom and I really wanted to say, "NO!"  I looked up at those roll-y brown eyes and thought about all the plastic junk my kids have, despite my best intentions, and about how she didn't need to be "fancy" in this moment, and I said, "No."  And then she pressed that chunky-plastic-heart-shaped-jewel-y thing into my hand.  She did.  And I reeled.  Whoa.  I felt it.  I held it. And I was transported. To a moment sometime far away.  I was 4 or 5 or 6 or 8.  I don't know.  But I held something, I dunno, was it a heart or a stone or a random piece of chunky plastic?  But it felt.just.like.this.  And it was intended to be hung on a string. What was it?  I searched my memory.  But, no, I'll never know.  I just know it felt.just.like.this  in my hand. Ya, that...  I made her the necklace.  And when she sleeps, I touch the heart.

No comments: