This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Not-Fathers'-Day

Until sometime late Saturday night Gregg and I were both under the disillusionment that yesterday was Fathers' Day (or as some people prefer, Father's Day -- I figure there are many, many fathers...).  At that point, it was more logical to just go ahead and celebrate the day as though it were (does the date matter anyway).  In fact, yesterday worked better for us -- Gregg's birthday is next week so spacing the gift giving/getting was nice and the idea of a day to celebrate SOMETHING kept me motivated to finish the floors.

So we started yesterday with some gift giving.
Mostly Gregg got books on brewing (I've been reading the Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers and recommend it whether you are a brewer or not!).


He also got some more Lodge cast iron.  Gregorie picked the "cupcake pan" -- I think she had plans...  A bacon press got added to the mix today, came late.


We went out to lunch at a place we love in Sierra City (Mountain Creek Restaurant) .   Daddy got some luvins.
Mama got some luvins too.

I also got another chance to enjoy irises!
The girls got to enjoy the gardens and some caged birds (I personally hate to see birds in a cage but I'm not 5...)
Gregorie enjoyed her lunch (under the yellow umbrella).

This is the house across the street -- it inspired the last poem in this post .
When we got home, Alex made her Daddy a card.
And Daddy got to put together one more gift -- new Adirondack chairs.  
While he worked the girls and I clambered down to the creek again.  This time they both climbed down into the creek!
On the way up, we played hide and seek.  Where's Alex?????
Oh, there she is!
This tree has arms!

2 comments:

Kinda Like a Chef said...

I swear you were a week off on the date for father's day last year, weren't you?? :)

I'll have to check out those books for Chris!

I LOVE those chairs, they were everywhere in Seattle and sooo comfy. I'm dying for some, not that I have anywhere to put them...

Sounds like you guys had such a fun father's day!!

Shauna said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I hope you guys have a nice weekend with the birthday too!

CUTE dresses on those girls! Love love LOVE the pattern. :-)