This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Where are we now?

My friend just did a nice garden update on the state of her late July garden.  It made me think that I should do the same.  She is picking figs, but not tomatoes.  I am reverse of that.  The figs are still tiny.
but the tomatoes are coming in fast!
I am happy to see the blackberry spreading nicely along this back fence.
And am hopeful that next year we'll get more than a handful of berries at a time.

My eggplant plant plant... is blooming.
Some things are reaching up, like the new growth on the pomegranate tree.
And this sunflower.
Others are being pulled down.  Like this poor sunflower, attacked by a pumpkin/squash thing-y.
I'm not sure if the branch of apple tree is hanging low because of the apples, or because the butternut squash has vined its way in.
The zucchini continue to prosper.
I love the light under the umbrella of squash leaves.
Here is the Bed of Chaos, viewed from the inside out.
And the long tomato bed viewed from the BoC.
And my sweet Gregorie Ann also viewed from the BoC!
I think this may be a baby pumpkin.
But alas, the pumpkin vines have grown into the driveway -- danger!
The peach tree is still heavy with fruit, despite all G.A.'s efforts!
"One on top of me, one on top of you!"
My garden does grow tomatoes!
We'll get a few pears this year.
And some grapes.
In the lower beds we have some overgrown lettuce mingling with sweet pea blossoms.

My mache has finally grown.
The beans the girls planted last week have sprouted.
The yellow zinnia is still blooming.
And the chard looks lovely.
I haven't used my chives in a while -- need to get them mixed into something!
A few yellow crooknecks are coming along.
The potatoes in the coffee bags are growing strong (those in the box are being harvested).

The late afternoon sun adds a special glow.


No comments: