This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Washed fresh and clean...

...just in time for Spring!

This afternoon we saw blue and felt sunshine -- a welcome relief after the intense rain of the weekend.
Under dry skies I went out to explore the gardens, see the damage, warm my bones.  My poor little lettuce sprouts got beat down
but this Japanese maple glistened in the sunshine.
The onions took a hit.
but the garlic stood tall.
The peas have grown since I last checked on them
and the cat approved.
In the lower beds I found pumpkins sprouting in my morel habitat
and steam rising (tho I'm not sure you can see it here).
The untamed yard breathed green.

This poor ceanothus got so heavy with water droplets it fell in the path.

I headed out of our yard to see what had happened outside our gate.  More steam was rising in the warm sun, off my neighbor's car port.
The neighborhood stood shiny and fresh
 but told the tale of last night.
It was a scary night, and some of the results are not pretty but others are:


2 comments:

Marlyn said...

If you click on the photos they should get larger letting you see some of the damage better, if you're interested.

Kinda Like a Chef said...

love all your photos! Chris took a few videos of the creek and stuff here, but I need to get it uploaded. Glad most of your plants made it out okay!! :)