This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Baby Hands

This morning I lied in bed and held Gregorie's hand. Yes, still wonderfully plump and super soft. A baby hand. I don't know why this surprised me.

I remember, very clearly, one night when I lied down with them and held one hand in each of mine. And Greggie's was of course a baby hand. And Alex's just wasn't. The palm was leathered. The back was soft, but not baby soft. The whole thing just wasn't fleshy. I remember so distinctly lying there, thinking, "Oh, my gosh, when did she GROW UP???? When did she stop being my baby????" So, this morning, when I held Greggie's hand and it was still a baby hand, I was so relieved! I know that when I felt Alex's grown up hand she had to be older than Greggie is now. But still, I'll rue the day when that soft fleshy paw is mine no more.

Why does the passing time hurt so much some times??????

1 comment:

Steph said...

How sweet! I had a cry moment similar to the one you described with Kairi and Alex the other day. His hands are so sweet and soft, and hers are not nearly so tender anymore. It made me desperately miss her baby days.