This is the story of our adventures -- every day and extraordinary; our dreams -- tiny and grand; our gardens -- ornamental and sustaining; this is the story of our journey.  We are a family of four living a mindful, simple life here in Los Angeles County.  We are green, conscious, and forward thinking.  We keep an eye on the past because some of the best things have already been done and bear repeating.  Walk and talk with us, have a glass of wine, taste a peach or a tomato, blow some bubbles and watch them drift up over the canyon ridge.  Enjoy!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Greggie got stung by a yellow jacket today

Her poor little thumb is all red and swollen. I know it was burning/stinging because she willingly soaked it in a bowl of ice water for 20 minutes.

She had eaten some melon and left a few squares behind. I was peeling apples for dinner and noticed the YJ land in the syrupy juice. He was stuck and dying. I didn't want to touch him myself given my allergy. She came back in and before I realized decided to snack on those last couple bites. I knew instantly when she yelled and Gregg was able to pull the stinger out. We gave her benedryl immediately and watched her carefully (for those that don't know, Alex and I are both fatally allergic). The reaction was completely local but we don't yet know if this was our freebie or if she is in the clear. The next sting, if she has one, will likely tell.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor Greggie! I have no clue if I'm allergic. I've only ever been stung once, and we're not really sure what kind of bee it was. I hope that this wasn't just a freebie for you and that she isn't fatally allergic. But, I also hope she doesn't have to get stung again.

Nichole said...

Oh the poor thing, that's such a scary situation for you. I hope she's not allergic!

GAM said...

Oh my God is she ok. I hope she doesn't have the allergy. Kiss it for me please.

Marlyn said...

She's fine Gam. I'll give her lots of kisses anyway!

Megan said...

OMG! Thank goodness she doesn;t appear to be alergic! Lets hope it stays this way